New Block? new suburb? new home
Should I build a new home?
If you are are thinking about building a new home, here are a few tips for you to consider:
- Choose your builder first. Get your builder involved from the beginning, even down to the choice of block. Regal Homes take a holistic approach to assisting you with your new home. For instance, choosing the right block can save you thousands in site costs alone.
- Set a total build budget. Do this early in the process. Failure to set a realistic budget can cost you valuable time and more money in the long run. Feel free to contact us for more on this subject.
- Know what developer’s conditions apply to the block. These conditions will vary from suburb to suburb in new sub-divisions and can end up adding considerable costs to your building contract and budget
- Have an idea of your upfront costs. Soils classification, contours, design fees, etc. can affect the overall cost and need to be accounted for in the total build budget
- Put together a wish list. Putting together a wish list gives the builder a good idea of what you are expecting in your new home. For instance, the difference in price from the basic level of inclusions to the highest can easily add $50 k or more to your final build cost
- Explore your builder. Ask questions. How long has the builder operated for, how many homes have they completed and what do they offer in the form of a “peace of mind guarantee”.
- Does the builder use ‘provisional sums’ in their contracts? This can lead to unexpected expensive bills after the building contract has been signed
- You need to know what is included & what is not included. Will your new home come with floor coverings or window coverings? What is a standard inclusion and what is an upgrade?
- Variations to the contract. You will need to know what is a variation to the contract & how expensive is this? And at what stage can a variation no longer be applied?
- Will the builder take care of all of the required council lodgements? Are they included in the price?
- Does the Builder offer more than the statutory structural guarantee period? A good builder will put his structural guarantee where his mouth is
Designing a new home for your future
Deciding to build a new home is the most exciting purchase you are going to make. Most home owners will be in their new home for at least 10 years, so it's important to choose a design that will grow with your families needs and wants.
Regal Homes have many project home designs to pick from that have been designed with all the requirements that most families need. If nothing suits your family or your block, or you'd simply like something different, we offer an exciting custom design service to our customers.
How do I choose a builder?
There are a heap of great builders that can build your dream home for you. Before you proceed with them though, you want to ensure you have a few questions answered. Below are a few ideas to get you started.
- Are you a licensed builder?
- How long have you been operating?
- How many homes have you built?
- Can I get a list of references?
- Do you offer a structural guarantee?
- How does your maintenance period work?
- What does your proposal include? What doesn't it include?
- How much does is a deposit? What happens if I don't go ahead?
- How long does it take to build the house typically?
- What are included as your standard inclusions?